• Visit Rebornbuddy
  • 64bit honorbuddy instead of 32bit.

Discussion in 'Honorbuddy Forum' started by udBuddy, Feb 24, 2015.

1. udBuddy

udBuddy New Member

I know this has been discussed a lot. It has been said that it doesn't make sense to have two separate versions of honorbuddy, and that makes a lot of sense. But why make it a 32 bit version? 64bit windows has been standard for over 5 years now, and those that have 32bit OSes are now really behind the curve, so they should upgrade anyways.

So I just wanted to ask if honorbuddy could discontinue 32bit in favor of 64bit? Would this actually cause a problem for any current users?

I think it might be a security issue also. How many none botters with 64bit oses run 32bit wow clients? I'm guessing almost none...

Seems like an easy way for blizzard to quickly filter down their player reports and only investigate those who use the 32bit client.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2015
    2. Konfettos

Konfettos New Member

90% of players gl hf

3. DX123

DX123 Member

Because there is no reason to make a 64-bit version. HB doesn't use over 4gb of memory.

4. udBuddy

udBuddy New Member

Performance aside, what about security? And why bother with a 32bit version?

5. Mekare

Mekare New Member

I do strongly agree with a point there: Why even bother with a 32bit version?

6. rascal9

rascal9 Member

7. DX123

DX123 Member

There are plenty of people who don't use 64-bit OS's. And there is no security advantage at all using 64-bit vs 32-bit. To speculate that Blizzard is checking the use of 32 vs 64 is just guessing. And my guess is that they don't. Otherwise HB would have been shut down a long time ago.

My last thought before this gets locked... The only advantage of 64-bit over 32-bit is the amount of ram you can use. And again.. there is no need.

8. Hayt

Hayt Member

This is not accurate, 90% of the gamers have up to date machines and software, so 90% of the player base has 64bit clients. Indeed it is very easy for blizzard to filter out 32bit clients, since the launcher only executes the 64 bit client.

9. zeldrak

zeldrak Well-Known Member

If you use the search function, browse the archives, use Google to search, or even spend a bit of time reading the forums you would see that the issue regarding 32-bit vs 64-bit has come up time and time and time again. There are the ones that agree with having a 64-bit client that comment, there are ones that agree with just keeping a 32-bit client commenting, and THEN you have the moderators and super moderators telling EVERYONE that there will NOT be a 64-bit HB ever made. Or, at least, there are NO plans on making one in the foreseeable future.

This subject is voiced on the forums at least once a week with the same end result; no 64-bit HB is in the foreseeable future. They don't plan on making one. They don't feel one is necessary. As long as there are players using 32-bit software then they will stick with 32-bit HB. The only way I see possible for them to migrate to 64-bit HB is if every single computer in the world running 32-bit died, and then 32-bit ANYTHING was discontinued, forcing the use of ONLY 64-bit. I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Just sayin' that it ain't gonna happen.

10. noice

noice New Member

The launcher has an option for 32-bit client. If Blizzard is providing the option for a 32-bit client in the launcher, obviously they know that quite a few of their users need/want it and they can't assume only botters are using the 32-bit version.

11. nucleotides

nucleotides Active Member

90% of "real gamers" but not necessarily 90% of the bot user base or WoW users for that matter. Lots of assumptions in this thread of circle jerks.

12. gavzter

gavzter Banned

They should start banning people who start this topic in the forum omg

13. Trixiap

Trixiap Member

If you know nothing about x86 vs x86-64 don´t talk about 32bit vs 64 bit.

There is 0 reasons why to move from 32bit to 64 bit.

Also if you think that Blizz actually want track all botters then calm down. There are more than one study that were able to detect bots with 90% accuracy only with player/public accessible data. I'm almost sure that Blizz can detect more than 90% of bots on their end without even touching your PC (and care about version of WoW that you are running). Imho they don´t want ban ppl, because at their end bot is same as legit player and shareholders doesn´t care.

14. Tony

Tony "The Bee" Staff Member Moderator

exactly

15. n0isey

n0isey New Member

[​IMG]
      and you still rely onn 32bit lulz.
      Taking months to Reverse a 64bit version is huge.
      There 64bit debuggers everything is switching to 64bit even most of the new Games can only be played on 64bit.
      Blizzard will move to 64bit only sometime may as well and what would you do then if you are that unprepared?
      3.5GB of RAM is nothing simply nothing in this time.
      And its no mystery that 64bit WoW runs way smoother and as well Blizzard did not give a sh*t about their 64bit Warden Scans.

16. Trixiap

Trixiap Member

I'm not sure if I want laugh or cry, but you are 1AU away from point. Do you really think that you must reverse 30GB of data? Are you insane? WoW is 13MB for 32bit and 20.2MB for 64bit + some dll +- 2MB. With 30GB you can simulate entire universe and you will still have room for mankind stupidity. That 30GB in your WoW folder are textures, videos, sounds etc... = files that have 0% impact on HB and are same for 32bit and 64bit.

Also 64bit client is reversed, but not used because there is no reason

17. gavzter

gavzter Banned

Noisey please go sleep or something dude

18. Zeewolf

Zeewolf Member

Perhaps the HB updater should request either a 32bit or 64bit build depending on the client OS, in both cases the site will still supply a 32bit build but they can measure the number of requests for 64bit clients to see if it really is the majority of people using 64bit. Added advantage is they would only be adding code that would support a 64bit version of HB if one was eventually released anyway.

I work in IT, we are slow off the mark but we are actively nuking XP clients from our network. Anything since the release of windows 7 has been 64bit capable, 32bit win7 was released for compatibility with hardware released before it came to market. Now in the overall market there is still A LOT of XP and 32bit out there, but then if your demographic is gamers.. which it is, most of them will not be the old folks still lingering on 486 running windows 95 because it serves them ok as a word processor.

I suspect that blizzard can probably tell who is running a 64bit OS but purposely running the 32bit client. I suspect that they dont purposefully act on it because frankly it would be pointless as it would just drive the bots to 64bit anyway and it wouldnt help them combat the overall issue. However as a person who plays wow and bots, the 64bit client DOES run better so I would be in favor of a 64bit HB that would allow me to use the 64bit client

19. Trixiap

Trixiap Member

HB 32bit and HB for 64bit are completely different programs and HB for 64 would need to be written from scratch, you can´t supply "64bit code" to current HB

20. frosticus

frosticus Community Developer

in the end, blizz cares about happy players. happy players are happy payers. they give the illusion of dealing with botters to keep the masses content so they keep paying. blizzard isnt fighting a battle against botters, they are fighting a battle to keep the money rolling in. period.

and ffs, there are other bots out there if you feel you can't live without the 64b wow client. HB does what it does and it does it well. sure we have complaints about the little things, but if we weren't happy with HB we would just leave instead of sitting around bitching about it.

Developers keep doing what you are doing with 32b because you are doing it well. When the time comes the staff will rock 64b just like the are doing with 32.