• Visit Rebornbuddy
  • BotBase Settings Form

Discussion in 'Community Developer Forum' started by Sinbeard, Nov 12, 2019.

1. Sinbeard

Sinbeard New Member

I'm mostly a linux dev in experience, and as a result have extremely little experience developing with any kind of GUI. As a result I've been having some pretty annoying trouble getting a settings window to work for a botbase I'm trying code.

I'm trying to use a WPF with a SettingsWindow.xaml and respective code behind file. I basically copied the files over from a blank WPF VS project and summoned them forth with my OnButtonPress() override. The code I'm using basically is the same from DeepDive botbase:
      Code:
              private SettingsWindow _settings;
              public override void OnButtonPress()
              {
                  if (_settings == null)
                  {
                      _settings = new SettingsWindow {
                          Title = "Garlean Resource Assimilator v" + _v
                      };
                      _settings.Closed += (o, e) => { _settings = null; };
                  }

try
                  {
                      _settings.Show();
                  }
                  catch (Exception)
                  {
                      // ignored
                  }
              }

code behind code:

Code:
      namespace Assimilator.GUI
      {
         public partial class SettingsWindow : Window
          {
              public SettingsWindow()
              {
                  InitializeComponent();
              }
          }
      }

xaml

Code:
      <Window
         x:Class="Assimilator.GUI.SettingsWindow"
          xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/winfx/2006/xaml/presentation"
         xmlns:x="http://schemas.microsoft.com/winfx/2006/xaml"
          Title="Garlean Resource Assimilator"
         Height="Auto"
         Width="Auto"
          WindowStartupLocation="CenterScreen">
      </Window>

Here are the errors I'm getting in the RB log:

Code:
      [04:45:16.511 N] Compiler Error: C:\Users\<user>\Downloads\rb\BotBases\Assimilator\Assimilator.cs(43,21) : error CS0117: 'SettingsWindow' does not contain a definition for 'Title'

[04:45:16.511 N] Compiler Error: C:\Users\<user>\Downloads\rb\BotBases\Assimilator\Assimilator.cs(45,27) : error CS1061: 'SettingsWindow' does not contain a definition for 'Closed' and no extension method 'Closed' accepting a first argument of type 'SettingsWindow' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

[04:45:16.511 N] Compiler Error: C:\Users\<user>\Downloads\rb\BotBases\Assimilator\Assimilator.cs(50,27) : error CS1061: 'SettingsWindow' does not contain a definition for 'Show' and no extension method 'Show' accepting a first argument of type 'SettingsWindow' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

The annoying thing is that if I use MahApps Metro and compile the botbase into a .dll and use the loader file that's been floating around for ages the settings window launches fine in RB. However, I don't want to have to compile this code to a dll to use it. Also, the project builds just fine when I build it in VS.

I'm clearly doing something wrong, but I don't have the experience to easily guess at it. Does RB not have the System.Windows reference ...?

2. mastahg

mastahg Administrator Staff Member

Getting WPF+ XAML to work is a really tedious process since XAML doesn't get included in the compile normally. IIRC @zzi had something that let you do it but I don't recall where he shared it.

3. Sinbeard

Sinbeard New Member

Ugh classic.

After reading your comment I was able to google around a bit more easily. I can see that's part of the the .dll reflection that some devs use made it work for me. I did see in RbLeveGen that there is a xaml file with some other nonsense going on. I'll see if I can bang something like that into mine. In the mean time, you were able to point me in a needed direction so I'll also take a look on that route.

Thank you!