• Visit Rebornbuddy
  • [Guide] How to Auto Update Your SVN

Discussion in 'Archives' started by nate8282, Apr 4, 2012.

1. nate8282

nate8282 Member Legendary

[Guide] How to Auto Update Your SVN

Create a batch file pointing to each the path of each SVN you want to update.

First, go to whatever path you want to save the batch file in (in my case C:) while in Windows Explorer. Right click, then select, New, then Text Document.

Second, rename the file whatever you prefer (I called mine SVN Update), then open the document and past the following.

Third, Replace the path "D:\Documents\Kicks Profiles" with the path of your SVN

Fourth, Just copy and paste the second line of the batch file for each SVN and change the path accordingly.

EXAMPLE

Here are alternative closeout options, in case you have a preference.

Fifth, Change the extension of the .txt file you just made to .bat in order to make it an executable
      batch file.

(NOTE, if you don't see the file extension .txt, while in Windows Explorer go to, Tools, Folder Options,
      select the view tab, then uncheck the Hide extensions for known file types, then press Apply.)

Ok, now that we've created our batch file, we're going to schedule it to run once a day.

Scheduling Our Batch File

First, select the Windows start orb, then select, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, then, Task Scheduler. (NOTE, Task Scheduler may be in a different folder, depending on the version of windows you have, with windows 7 you can just type in, Task Scheduler in the run box.

Second, while in Task Scheduler, select, Action, then Create Task. Give the task a name (mine is SVN Update).

Lastly, the Triggers tab, then select, New, select Daily on the left, then select what time of day you want it to start.
      Next select the Actions tab, then select, New, now browse for the batch file you created early, then select ok, select ok once more
      and your finished! Using the Task scheduler isn't needed, you can always ran the batch file manually, whatever your preference.

2. zeldrak

zeldrak Well-Known Member

That's awesome. I never thought about doing this, at all. I've been manually updating all my SVN files since SVN came around. The only downside I'm going to forsee is the frequency at which I'll have to make .bat files. HB updates a lot, and with having to do clean installs and redownloading all the SVN files again, it's going to be a pain. On the other hand, this is supremely helpful while it lasts. :D Thanks!

3. nate8282

i have my SVN folders in my documents folder, that way i don't have to constantly maintain the batch files, every time i have to do a fresh install of HB.

4. zeldrak

So, how does that work? When I read about installing CCs, they all say that the CC folder has to be located within HB/CustomClasses. I imagine the same goes for bot bases and plugins. If this isn't the case, please let me know how, or what, you do to get HB to recognize your CC, plugin, and bot base installations. I only ask because if I can do the same thing you do that would be extremely helpful with new installs, as you say.

In fact, if I could impose upon you a request; that being a sort of step-by-step on how you do your CCs, plugins, and bot bases within your documents and then get them to work with HB. I would very much appreciate the time and explanation.

5. nate8282

yes, they have to be in the correct HB folder depending on whether it's a plugin or cc (unless it's a profile), but what i do is hold my SVN folders outside the main bot folder for updating and backup purposes. So i use the batch file to update those folders, and then i will manually copy them into the HB folder, the main reasons i do this is, one, for easy updating, two, i always have a copy just in case, and three, i like to edit some of the CC's and plugins for personal use and i don't want the changes i made over-righted.

However, if you update your SVN's outside the HB folder, then add the SVN folders that are located in HB to the batch file, then when you do a fresh install of HB, all you have to do is copy and paste the already updated SVN you have outside the HB folder and the SVN's will auto update within the folder to. It makes it easy to get it up and running faster, you don't need to visit the forum and re-download them all manually.

6. zeldrak

I see. That makes sense. I'll do that once I'm done in the BGs and I'm tired of playing. Thanks for the info!

nate8282 likes this.