• Visit Rebornbuddy
  • [GUIDE] VMware + D3 | they way it shoud be done

Discussion in 'Archives' started by shaliuno, Jul 19, 2012.

1. thesmallprint

thesmallprint New Member

Hey there,

I've tried everything and my friends has helped me but couldn't get it to work.

I followed everything and every instruction that was given. Used my friend's BAT file while worked for him but couldn't work for me.

Everything was good until the end where I tried to launch Diablo.

[​IMG]

Any ideas?

2. dhdhdh

dhdhdh New Member

Any suggestions for this?

I found the way to flush Cached memory on the fly, but it not helps.
      Also, noticed in Task Manager that issue is - constantly increasing handles counter during VMs worktime. Having about 40.000 handles (on host) when VMs are turned off. This counter increasing very fast, I have about 32.000.000 handles in about 24 hours running 5 VMs with D3. Seems like memory is spended for this dead handles. Seems like handles leak in VMWare.
      I googled for this, and found some messages about it, but nothing for solving the problem. Only that - this issue happens when using Shared Folders functionality in VMWare.
      Is someone experiencing this?

3. kettlecorn

kettlecorn New Member

can someone please guide me with this issue? When I have 1 VM open, the task manager shows memory at about 65% use (of 3gb) and CPU at 48%. However, if I even start up the 2nd VM with nothing running, the very action of having another VM open causes the first VM's memory usage to shoot up to 95%. 2.75 used out of 3gb. Why is this?

For this reason I can't VM more than 1 account cause even though the 2nd VM isn't doing anything, it affects the ram/memory for the first one.

How do I allocate strict 2gb-3gb per VM without sharing?

4. dlr5668

dlr5668 New Member

I have nice perfomance with vmware 9.0.1 and windows 7 lite (25-30 fps, no lags, 10-15% CPU load on 4.4ghz core i5) but it crashes so often (every 30-60 minutes). Same for 1gb - 3gb ram with or without pagefile. Should I try original win7 image or may be win xp?
      P.S. Anyone tried to map cahche folders to HDD? I dont want to waste another 10-40gb on ssd

Last edited: Dec 2, 2012
    5. kettlecorn

kettlecorn New Member

Try the quick guide I wrote. Set memory to allocate vm ram separate NOT allowing memory to be swapped.

6. carrefour

carrefour New Member

nice guide but I still got some issues...

i7 990X
      gainward gtx 590
      12Gb ram corsair
      running with hma v.p.n.

and I can't maintain 5 bots... as soon as I start nr 5 my whole system freezes.
      I've got them setup for 2Gb ram, 5Gb disks with the lite build from 1st post and each 1 processor assigned.

few questions also that I couldn't find the answer for in these 55 pages....
      - Network adapter set to bridged or nat?
      - virtualization engine which options ticked?

Last edited: Dec 2, 2012
    7. mullerhun

mullerhun Member

please link yr guide again! :cool:

thx!!

8. gram04

gram04 New Member

Hello!

Firstly, thanks for this wonderful guide.
      All is working perfectly, but when i try to clone my VMware guest i get the following error code:

Cloning failed:
      Cannot snapshot all metadata files

9. bmoney

bmoney New Member

Anyone having this issue? Diablo head icon loads for a long time then I get a big grey box. Any advice? This is my 6th attempt. Ty

EDIT: figured out the grey box. My diablo3.prf was set to default and needed to lower the graphics settings. Diablo still takes forever to load. Have SSD 3770k and 32g ram

Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
    10. m0rph3x

m0rph3x New Member

Few days ago i finally finished testing everything up, so i am going to share some random info that i did not find in this topic.

If your VM cpu and ram in task manager are not loaded to max for VM, but you still have lags there might be 2 problems i personally encountered:
      1. Each subsequent VM makes all your VMs laggy. Cause: Your VGA is not good enough. Solution: change VGA. I dont know specific requirements, i just can give you mine example. I had GF GTX650 2gb 128bit and it could not handle 4 VMs with running diablo. I switched to twin frozr3 r7870 2gb 256bits and it has no problems with 8 VMs.
      2. You have lags even with 1 VM running, though it should be fine according to task manager. Cause: I don't exactly know why this kind of problem occures. Just some minor bug i guess. Solution: use 2 cores for 1 VM. Don't worry this will not increase your cpu usage, or limit your VM count in half. CPUs are shared among VMs anyway. And you still can have as much VMs as your PC can handle.

According to guide 1-1,5 gb ram per VM is enough. This is true, but only to run them. Or if you are farming only 1 location. Running through numerous locations will increase ram usage over time. Example: i start at 1,2gb usage, after bot making 1 full profile clear ram goes up to about 2,2gb, and then in a day or two it goes up abit more to 2,3gb. So i would recommend actually using 2,5-2,6 gb per VM. This ofcourse can vary for different setups, so you should personally chek the ram (commit) in task manager after running bot for atleast a day, and set VMs ram equal to maximum commit you had +10% above it.

And kinda obvious note... one of the most (or most?) powerfull CPU usage decrease comes from FPS limit in game. I have i7, and i think i can easily get up to 10 bots running by decreasing fps limit to 15 or so. Not yet sure if limit that low won't be bad for DB and cause farming rate drop. But i tested with 20 fps and it works as good as always. So if anyone has some free ram and wants to increase VM count you can experiment with this. I did not test much in this direction since i am low on ram atm. Going to get more ram, test running 15 fps, and will post results as soon as i can.

11. bmoney

bmoney New Member

Im finally found out why I was freezing up at loading. The VMware that I downloaded was old. I needed to update to 8.5 with the new VMtools drivers. The old ones weren't playing nice with my graphics card

Edit: one other thing. give yourself more than 5g of hd space. There has been a content patch or two since he wrote this guide. You can say the VM is 10000g but it will only take up what its using on the ssd. At 5 g I had cache folder trouble to I expanded it

12. demonmanjon

demonmanjon New Member

updated .bat to the one few pages ago works now.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2012
    13. demonmanjon

demonmanjon New Member

How do you guys make it so the d3 is windowed mode? when i press escape it closes d3. in the vm guest.

14. Trapmusik

Trapmusik New Member

For some reason unknown to me i get failure to join games while using this method. I'm able to log in, play in the AH, but as soon as I hit "Resume Game" or "Start Game" the loading dots on the bottom freeze and I'm eventually presented with a failure to join game message.

Please advise.

If this has already been discussed, I apologize. I've read many pages of this thread and haven't seen a similar problem.

15. okard

okard New Member

same prob for me :(

16. demonmanjon

demonmanjon New Member

so i think i got everything setup but i dled the .net framework 4 and it errored. So i dled the c++ 2010 x86 and now once i login it closes the program any ideas?

17. demonmanjon

demonmanjon New Member

there's a bat file like 3 pages back.

18. demonmanjon

demonmanjon New Member

when i load the demonbud. After i put in the code and press enter it closes the demonb any ideas?

19. okard

okard New Member

i think u need .net framework and vc++. search for the demonbuddy wizard installer

20. ad3ddd

ad3ddd New Member

Guys, i've got a serious problem and looks like it is caused by the VM. Check this out, please, need help ;)

CHECK ME