• Visit Rebornbuddy
  • Recent bans linked to prior bans?

Discussion in 'Discussions (no Ban Reports here)' started by -M_M-, Nov 21, 2013.

1. -M_M-

-M_M- New Member

Though I'm new to botting, I'm not new to reading forums and noticing trends. I've seen tons of posts in the ban reports section about accounts getting the hammer and a supposed "banwave", new scanning technique, etc.

I know for a fact that Blizz can see IPs even from browsers. I have a *** hard wired into my router for work and had to disable it to purchase an account because they logged the IP and flagged the account as hacks, rejecting the payment three times. It took three tries over a week to finally get a GM to look into it with a supervisor but I finally learned that IPs are a HUGE thing for them, even from the browser.

My point is that it seems like many of the people who are getting banned now have been banned in the past. I think it's completely possible that they're not scanning computers, but they're looking at IP logs and booting prior offenders without question. I'm making this assumption based on the trouble I had with my *** and purchasing a battlechest.

2. -M_M-

-M_M- New Member

Don't know why V P N is starred out, but that's what it is.

3. Xerious

Xerious New Member

There are 5 new posts that I see and the last few days there haven't been much new minus a few 72hr Suspensions. - Not even close to a ...wave.

There is a reason for the *** - those discussions are not allowed here.
      http://www.thebuddyforum.com/buddy-...dgmbh-forum-rules-guidelines.html#post1195882

4. -M_M-

-M_M- New Member

Yes, lots of suspensions, but people are also talking about bans on multiple accounts on the same day.

http://www.thebuddyforum.com/honorbuddy-forum/ban-section-ban-reports/139980-8-accounts-banned.html
      http://www.thebuddyforum.com/honorb...battlechest-pure-questing-again-4th-time.html
      http://www.thebuddyforum.com/honorbuddy-forum/ban-section-ban-reports/139984-4-4-banned.html

I'm simply speculating that this is an IP-related thing. Didn't imply that there's an actual wave going on as I'm sure there would be plenty more posts. The original point of the post is to share my opinion that I believe it's people whose IP address is flagged that are getting the boot.

5. ZoOoOoM

ZoOoOoM Community Developer

I can only speak for myself, it's nothing like "flagged" ip.
      I'm on dynamic IP connection, so every day i change the IP by rebooting the router.
      I also change the mac address and erase WoW registery values every 5-7 days.

My bans were due to a mistake i made which was not testing the changes i made last night to my PB profile thoroughly.
      a couple of my bots got stuck in a blackscreen and i wasn't there to unstuck them.

6. -M_M-

-M_M- New Member

Rebooting your router only changes the IP address of your computer(s) on the local network. Your visible IP can only be changed by your internet service provider.

EDIT: That statement is mostly true. It completely depends on your ISP as to whether or not dynamic IPs are tracked to the same account. While Blizzard would actually have to legally subpoena your ISP for data logs (similar to MPAA and pirates), Blizz can still see a significant amount of activity from an IP and make judgements accordingly.

7. ZoOoOoM

Nope. :)

8. -M_M-

-M_M- New Member

Can you confirm this? Have you actually called your ISP and asked if your IP is different between reboots?

9. zonpan2lol

zonpan2lol New Member

I'm going to go ahead and do a quick google search for you
      What's My IP Address? - Obsolete Browser Page
      voila

10. Xerious

Xerious New Member

He said D Y N A M I C ;)

11. ZoOoOoM

I don't need to!
      The way dynamic IP works, every time the connection drops/reconnects the router fetches a new IP.
      I can directly see what IP i have through the router itself!

You're confusing Dynamic IP and Static IP.
      When you're on a Static IP, your isp account gets assigned one IP or few IP's depending on the contract and what you subscribed for.
      This is what most people have in the rest of the world.

But it's not the case for my country. you actually have to Specifically ask for a Static IP if you don't want your ip changing all the time (Ex.You host a website or a service)

12. -M_M-

-M_M- New Member

"Note: Even if, by observation, a dynamic IP address does not change frequently it still can at any time solely at the discretion of your ISP or Service Provider. For example, a change of network policy or installation of new equipment or because it's Tuesday. You do not control the IP address change policy, your ISP/Service Provider does." Tech Stuff - Static vs Dynamic IPs

Edit: Point being, just because you reset your LOCAL dynamic IP on your LOCAL router doesn't mean your ISP changes it.

13. -M_M-

-M_M- New Member

So the IP thing is getting confusing, I agree.

But I think it's worth bringing to light that you said your bans came after running 4 accounts at the same time on the same machine. That one machine is still sending info back with a single IP. Why wouldn't that have something to do with it?

14. ZoOoOoM

It depends on the ip lease that the isp assigns to you.
      in MY case, it's either 24h(which is common in other countries) or when the connection drops.
      For the most part, someone with a dynamic IP can change their IP by simply turning off their modem/router for 5-10 minutes (the time it takes for the ip lease to be renewed.)

I've been botting for over 5 years using dynamic ip.
      i got nothing to prove. so let's leave it at that :)

15. -M_M-

-M_M- New Member

See above post - going beyond the dynamic IP discussion -

16. ZoOoOoM

it came after running 4 accounts, 12h/day (just the farming, there is also auctioning/smelting to add) for about 16-17 days (last 2 accounts started like a week ago).

The reason i believe it had nothing to do with it, is as follows :

To add: i still have a battlechest that is leveling(Almost 20h/day) on my main computer (not the one where the bans happened) and it was running under the same ip.
      If they targeted me based on IP, all relevant accounts would be banned. or at least should be.

17. -M_M-

-M_M- New Member

We need to sync up our posting time, Zoom! :)

The OP was about IPs playing a heavy factor in users with multiple accounts/prior bans getting banned again. While I completely agree that stuck bots can be the reason, I'm simply speculating that IPs can lead to bans, as well, especially among users who have had main accounts banned that have never seen bot time or haven't botted in months.

18. ZoOoOoM

It's obvious that they can and do track the IP's of the users.
      But they can't ban you solely based on that.

It takes a severe offence (or multiple ones) before they would consider "Flagging" you.
      Most of the time, if you're IP flagged you probably know why.

You won't get flagged by ip for running a single bot in a BG and getting banned for example.
      But you will, if you run multiple bots on the same ip/machine who were suspended before which in turn, triggers an investigation!

And that's when the IP's come into action. When you're being investigated.

They can't automate IP banning without prior proof that the said IP is malicious or fraudulent .

This is all obviously nothing but a logical speculation :)

19. -M_M-

-M_M- New Member

Hooray! We reached an agreement! Something that seldom comes from forums! :p

Essentially that'd prove my point that folks who are posting ban reports recently (many of the bans were out of the blue) while saying Blizzard did something with scanning and all sorts of digital voodoo would potentially be wrong and that it's simply because their IP is flagged for prior offenses.